If you live in the Houston area, you know that storms can cause a lot of damage to homes. Often, this damage is to the shingles on your roof, and you are going to need to make insurance claims to cover repair expenses. Some of the things that you need to know before getting help with residential insurance restorations for roof damage include:
Get a Professional Inspection and Written Estimate
The first step in dealing with the roof damage after a storm is to have an inspection done. This is something that you want to have done by qualified professionals. Issues that a Houston insurance restoration service will look for during the inspection include:
- Signs of hailstone damage to shingles (or other roofing materials)
- Wind damage to shingles and other materials on the roof
- Excessive wear and leaks caused by storm damage
- Structural issues in the roof structure caused by storms
The written estimates for restoration costs are important to make an insurance claim to cover repair costs. You want to provide the original estimate to your insurance adjuster before the work begins to repair your home.
Find Out What Damage Your Insurance Covers
There are different home insurance policies that cover various roof damage issues. Thus, you want to find out what problems your insurance policy coverage will cover. Usually, insurance policies will cover the following damage to Houston roofs:
- Wind damage repairs
- Structural repairs due to storms
- Repairing damage to other materials on the roof
The damage that insurance covers may depend on the area you live in and the type of home insurance policy you have.
Schedule a Roof Restoration Service to Complete Repairs
You are also going to need to schedule a roofing service to complete the repairs that need to be done. Things you need to do before you schedule the roof restoration service include:
- Obtain financing to cover the initial restoration costs
- Decide if emergency repairs are needed now
- Rent a roll-off dumpster container to deal with waste
If recent storms have caused damage to a lot of homes and businesses in your neighborhood, it may take some time for the restoration service to get to your property. This is why you want to schedule an appointment with the roof restoration service as soon as possible.
Complete the Roof Restoration and File Insurance Claims
Lastly, you are going to need to complete your insurance claims. There may have been extra repairs and costs that need to be reported to the insurance adjuster and added to the claim. Some of the extra costs that may need to be claimed include:
- Structural repairs that were not in the original estimate
- Updating the structure to meet modern building code standards
- Repairs for damage that was not seen until roofing was removed
These are extras that often have to be claimed to your insurance after repairs have been completed.
The problems with your roof may require extensive renovations rather than simple repairs. Contact a residential insurance restoration service to help to fix these issues when storms cause damage to your Houston home.